Stimulants A Hidden Epidemic from Paul Brasler
The Scope and Extent of the Problem
- Epidemiology and trends
- What are people using?
- “Bath Salts”
- …and others…
- Who is using stimulants?
- Prescriptions v. street drugs – what’s the difference?
The Neurobiology of Stimulant Use
- The drive to use How addiction hijacks the brain
- Why it’s hard to quit
- Behavioral effects
- Psychological effects
Identification and Assessment: What to Look for in Session and Beyond
- Top 10 signs of stimulant misuse
- Co-occurring disorders
- Mood disorders (bipolar disorders and depressive disorders)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychotic disorders
- Personality disorders
- Disorders diagnosed in childhood (conduct disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Treatment Techniques You Need to Know
- Individual counseling strategies
- Group counseling strategies
- Peer support
This digital seminar is currently on pre-order meaning that the video will not be ready until 2-3 weeks after the program has taken place.
As many communities focus on the current opioid crisis, we have seen an alarming rise in people using cocaine, methamphetamines and designer stimulants like “Bath Salts.”
The misuse of these chemicals, including a surge in the use of stimulants among people being treated for opioid use disorder, has largely gone unnoticed. And yes, people die every day from mis-using stimulants, whether it’s sharing another person’s prescription or using methamphetamine.
Stimulants are everywhere, in energy drinks, prescription medications and illicit chemicals. Because of their prevalence, clinicians need to be equipped to recognize stimulant misuse and effectively intervene with their clients.
All mental health clinicians, not just those working in substance use treatment, need to be aware of stimulant misuse, the various chemicals mis-used and ways to treat these clients.
Paul Brasler has over 22 years of experience in working with adolescents and adults who misuse stimulants and other chemicals.
Watch Paul as he helps you better understand clients who misuse stimulants and the ways you can confidently help your clients.
In this recording and you’ll learn:
- What types of stimulants are being misused
- How to recognize stimulant abuse/misuse in your clients
- Treatment strategies for stimulant misuse
- Why stimulant misuse is on the increase